Monday, April 11, 2005

Have HOWZING in the BAY AREA, WOOT!

Okay. I have a place to live.

I just got word from USCA that I have a place to live in the fall. And in the Oscar Wilde House, to boot. Rock!

Now. Is it wisest for me to take this?

It's a little over $600 a month, including utilities and bulk groceries. This is pretty cheap.
I will be living in a small room, probably with one other person. This may cause me to have to confront body issues.
I will probably have to switch to injections for my roommate's health if they are not a guy, due to the possibility of transferring my medication to them. I could possibly do patches instead.
It's not exactly right where I want to be, but it's not too bad; there are buses.
People will be around to do maintenance and share chores with.
I won't be living alone, so I will be less likely to do foolish things like forget to eat for days at a time.
People will be around to come into conflict with perhaps.
I could maybe find someplace cheaper in Oakland, but Oakland is for the most part not as nice a neighborhood, and it would be just as far away if not farther.
I could maybe get a job at the coop, which would make my rent nearly free, but wouldn't pay anything in excess of that. However, most of them are not anywhere close to full time, so maybe I could get a job at the coop and a part time job at school.
There is high-speed internet access, and for this I will probably pay an extra 5-10 dollars a month, which is cheap.
It's guaranteed-- all I have to do is send the form back tomorrow.
I have to pay rent in lump sums, which can be hard on my budget.
On the other hand, I can get rent out of the way and not worry about it from month to month.

My readings say living here will be difficult and from time to time unpleasant, but I will learn from it. They say the same thing about living anywhere else. Interestingly, they also seem to say it doesn't matter whether I leave in June or August, except that I might learn more spiritual stuff if I stay (which makes sense because I was planning to go to that thing in Massachusetts if I stay). However, it does matter very much what job I take. I am warned against working on the boat. But the JFKU job looks like it would be beneficial for me.

Any practical advice for me, folks?

4 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger innocentwater said...

Transfer medication? Never heard of that one.

Congrats on getting a sparkly place to live! Sounds great. I don't feel like I know enough about how these residential issues work, so I won't offer any advice with that.

I hope your roommate is someone you can get along with. I'm sure you'll work out something nice.

It's going to be weird without you here. :( Keep in touch!!

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not knowing the Bay Area, I can offer no advice. However, I can offer a PROFOUND COMMENT:

San Francisco's purty.

There. I have spoken.

Cloudy!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger innocentwater said...

Yes, and it's also of much cooler weather. Just think, Kerrick! It won't be ninety degrees out every other day!

Rather chilly this morning though... o_0

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's Ains. I think that you would like living in Wilde house. There would be lots of peeps around to get to know and it would make it easy to make friends. I've been to some great parties there. But keep in mind that a lot of the kids who live there are going to be younger than you. If you don't feel like you will get annoyed with the whole college/party mentality, go for it. Otherwise keep looking and I'm sure you can find a nice house with cool people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home